Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Clear Glass Lamp Redo

I am so thrilled to share my latest thrift store find. This lovely pair of glass lamps were definitely from another decade. But I took one look at them and knew they could easily be updated and be really chic. In fact, I quickly grabbed them off the shelf at Goodwill before anyone else had any ideas. These lamps were MINE!


They had a thin film of amber-colored glass glaze that was flaking off. So I used a razor blade to scrape it all off the glass so they were completely clear.



Better already, right?


Then I took out the old wiring (I was worried about them being a fire hazard) and replaced them with new cords. I also spray painted the bases and all the metal pieces with a Rustoleum Satin Nickel spray paint. After reassembling I just popped on a new shade and BAM!
Gorgeous.


Can you believe that these lamps were only $10 a piece? Add another $11 for each lamp kit and $15 for the shade and you have a grand total of = $36 per lamp!! That's a lot easier on the wallet than this one from Pottery Barn for $199...


And that's just for the lamp base, folks.

Happy thrifting!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

They look great Kim!! Such a crafty sister i have :) -Corinne

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

I LOVE them! You did a great job seeing their potential and giving them a new, chic life!!